Correction - I changed the scope to session and the error messages DO
appear, so that is ok.

But this caused a never ending loop in Retry.jsp and control never gets
forwarded to Verify.jsp. And my code for populating the select boxes does
not do what it should (should repopulate if there was an error or default to
selected option if one was selected - now this is successful in the first
retry, but after that it defaults to the first entry and does not list the
rest.

Now I am also getting some errors in catalina.out:
Jan 7, 2003 9:42:59 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler action
SEVERE: Error in action code
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.action(JkCoyoteHandler.java:386)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:222)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.postParseRequest(CoyoteAdapter.java:
310)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:221)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:261)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:360)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:632)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:590)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:707)
        at
a:530)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

The log code that I had placed before just shows a loop:
2003-01-07 21:42:41 jsp: Entering CCProcess
2003-01-07 21:42:41 jsp: Error on form - forwarding to Retry.jsp
2003-01-07 21:42:41 jsp: Entering Retry.jsp - error on form
2003-01-07 21:42:51 jsp: Entering CCProcess
2003-01-07 21:42:51 jsp: Error on form - forwarding to Retry.jsp
2003-01-07 21:42:51 jsp: Entering Retry.jsp - error on form

I changed the scope back to request.jsp and I get to Verify.jsp, but the
error message in catalina.out is still there.  What could be causing this?
And why would changing the scope to session cause me to enter into that
Retry.jsp loop?

Thanks!
Denise