From: Bill Barker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 1:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Java Bean Scope questions (a lengthy one)

"Denise Mangano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
5D83C44941AFD4118B6F0002B302984F438636@EXCHANGE_SERVER">news:5D83C44941AFD4118B6F0002B302984F438636@EXCHANGE_SERVER...
> Wow someone read all of that!! ;)
>
> For Question #1:  I should have mentioned this before... I tried to
> use session scope at one point (don't recall the exact reason but I
> thought of it as an attempt to resolve a different problem).  When I
> set the scope to session, it caused problems with my form validation.
> Currently if the
form
> is not validated, the user is brought back to Retry.jsp and error
> messages appear next to the offending input field.  When I used
> session scope, Retry.jsp would be reloaded, but the error messages
> would not be displayed... Any thoughts on that?  I am going to go back
> and attempt this again now that everything is working as it should up
> to Verify.jsp and see if I stand corrected...

You need:
<jsp:useBean id="transaction" class = "com.complusdata.beans.Transaction"
scope="session" />
  <jsp:setProperty name="transaction" property="email"
value="<%=formHandler.getEmail()%>"/>

Note the final '/>' on jsp:useBean.  The way that you had it originally, the
properties will only be set if the JSP page needs to create a new instance
of "transaction".  If it finds one in the session already, the setters are
skipped.