It would be almost impossible to write a DTD for server.xml since an admin may inject custom classes (Listeners/Loggers).

To have a dtd, we would need to know every property which can be set for every class (which may be made known in server.xml) since tomcat uses reflection from Diegester.

-Tim

Turner, John wrote:
Hello -

I notice that the top of web.xml has:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
     "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

yet the top of server.xml has nothing.

I'm very new to XML, so forgive me if this is a lame or FA question, but is
there a DTD for server.xml?  If so, why isn't it specified in server.xml,
and what is the URL?  Is server.xml "real, official XML" or just
"convenience" XML?

- John