I am a newbie and used this page to help my in seeing examples and creating
my own servlets.  I hope that it helps.

http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Servlet-Tutorial/

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve R Burrus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 11:48 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: servlet with Tomcat

 Nicola, even though you seem to communicate in some "broken" English, I can
still
understand the "gist" of what you said in your post, that you are
encountering
some trouble/problems with trying to see either a servlet or a JSP in your
web
browser!!

 I wanna tell u that I am having the very same problems myself, and that I
am also
quite a "newbie" at trying to Tomcat to see the servlets/jsp's. Are you able
view any of the supplied examples successfully that came with the Tomcat
installation of yours'???! I can see the code easily enough, BUT I cannot
seem to
see the actual servlets at all! Now whassssssssup with that anyway? Can you
please
"point me in the right direction" as far as seeing these servlet examples
goes? It
would be like one "newbie" [you] helping out another "newbie" [me], but
that's OK
in the whole grand scheme of things :) And if you could also "throw in", for
my
benefit, any advice that you might have on using the <servlet-mapping> tag
that's
in the web.xml file, as u know. I am still having all kinds of problems with
editing that file. What should be specified for the <servlet-name> and the
<servlet-class> tags? Thanx in advance.