From: ps [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 4:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: DBCP+TOMCAT 3.2.4 (->4.1.x WORKED OK)

Greetings,

I'm downgrading my web application to work on tomcat 3.2.4 (initially
was developed and tested OK on tomcat 4.1.18). I'm using DBCP1.0.

problem:
--------
I can't get a datasource through JNDI that usually worked fine in tomcat
4.1.x, instead I'm getting an exception! Since I'm not aware about the
compatibility versions of tomcat, I ask for your help.

exception:
----------
"
javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in
environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an
application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
        at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:640)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:243)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:280)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:347)
"

And is caused on the following server code:
"
try{
        Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
        Context envCtx = (Context)initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/");
        this.ds = (DataSource)envCtx.lookup("/jdbc/ngincaredb");
}
catch(NamingException e){
            logger.fatal("datasource error", e);
}

"
web.xml:
--------
<resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/ngincaredb</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

server.xml:
-----------
<Context path="/ngincare"
                 docBase="webapps/ngincare"
                 crossContext="true"
                 debug="9"
                 reloadable="true"
                 trusted="false" >

   <Resource name="jdbc/ngincaredb" auth="Container"
            type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
      <ResourceParams name="jdbc/ngincaredb">
         <parameter>
                <name>driverClassName</name>