The feature you want has been implemented in Tomcat 5 (not in Tomcat 4.1.x).

You can probably port it if you realy needs it (see http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/security/SecurityUtil.java) or starts using Tomcat 5.

-- Jeanfrancois

Peter Kelley wrote:

I tell a lie, you can't get access to the users session easily from a
realm's authenticate method.
Perhaps I could write a valve that looks at the request and looks up the
realm the user belongs to. I could then cache the subjects in the realm
and run the rest of the pipeline using doAs(subject, xxxx).

This seems awfully low level but I can't see another way. Can anyone
suggest an alternative ? Surely this problem has been encountered
before.