Shapira, Yoav wrote:

To other people who answered, and to the original poster of this
question: what do get from the books that you can't get online?  Do you
not find that the books, or at least parts thereof, become outdated very
quickly?
Yoav,

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the book at http://pdf.coreservlets.com/ but although it is somewhat dated, it's very well-written for newbies. I'd almost go so far as to say "hand-holding". I'm sure the Sun book is just as good, but that wasn't the first thing I found when I did a google search for "best jsp servlet book". At that time I had every intent to purchase a book, but when I found the PDF-based Core Servlets book, I simply downloaded a chapter at a time, printed it out, and read it. The Core Servlets book gave me a pretty solid foundation in the ideas behind servlet/JSP programming (I was a CGI Perl/PHP programmer, new to Java, so as you can imagine things are considerably different), and the Tomcat docs + this mailing list have provided me with all of the additional information I've needed.

I didn't even know what J2EE really was when I got started with all of this, but because I feel somewhat comfortable (though not necessarily competent) writing servlets/JSPs after my experience with this book and this list, I recommend it to others posting on the list asking what is a good book. If I read a book that I had a lot of problems with, I point those out too.

Erik