Yoav is correct - you can create users in the Admin webapp.

...and you could use the "Fullname" field for your comments.

HTH

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Freitag, 21. Februar 2003 16:56
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4.1.18-LE re-writes tomcat-users.xml file; why?

Howdy,

>I recently upgraded from tomcat 4.1.12-LE to 4.1.18-LE.  I use the
simple
>"Memory Realm" for user authentication.  I have been maintaining the
>tomcat-users.xml file by hand, including comments etc.  It appears
>that some portion of 4.1.18 reads and then rewrites the
tomcat-users.xml

That portion is org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.  This
class reads and then writes the file.

I believe the reason the file needs to be re-written is that users may
be added via the admin webapp.  I may be wrong on this.

What the class does is read the file into memory, not retaining its XML
content but rather converting it into maps of groups
(org.apache.catalina.Group), roles (org.apache.catalina.Role), and users
(org.apache.catalina.User).  The public close() method persists the
in-memory representation of this structures back into the XML file.  So
obviously, comments are not saved.

>file because all of my comments etc. disappear shortly after the server
>starts and long before I make any access to the server.

This is unfortunate.  I'm not sure what the best solution is in this
case.  For now, perhaps you could move the content of these comments out
of the tomcat-users.xml file itself and into a separate document
regarding tomcat user setup for your company/webapp/whatever.

>Is the behavior with respect to the tomcat-users.xml file configurable?

I don't think so.

>I would really prefer that it not be changed by some program.

It's not "some program."  This is a tomcat-owned configuration file and
tomcat changes this file.

>p.s. would you please cc me on any reply so I see it soonest?  Thanks.

OK.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.