I tried it placing under host, context and Engine services but still it dies.

All help would be appreciated

Mubaraka

On 2003.02.24 12:34 "Tam, Michael" wrote:
In your xml, if it is what you're using in your setup, then you didn't
provide any value to connectionURL, connectionName, and
connectionPassword
to establish connection to the database.  If you need help on this,
you
should read the document that comes with tomcat where you will find a
section related to setting up JDBC REALM and the document of the JDBC
driver
that you use.

Hope this help.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Mubaraka Arif [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 9:16 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: tomcat4 dies when JBDC Realm is configured

hello ,

I have been trying to establish conainer amanaged security , so I
tried
to configure it using JDBC Realm.
Steps what I follwed where :

1. created users table with fields username, password.

2. created roles tables with fields username, rolename.

3. In server.xml I added the JDBC Realm as follows :
Snippet of server.xml
<!-- Define the default virtual host -->
<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="true">

         <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this virtual
host. -->
                 directory="logs" prefix="localhost_" suffix=".log"
                 timestamp="true"/>

          <Realm classname="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
debug="99"
                 driverName="com.informix.jdbc.IfxDriver"
                 connectionURL=" "
                 connectionName=""
                 connectionPassword=""
                 userTable="users"
                 userNameCol="username"
                 userCredCol="password"
                 userRoleTable="roles"
                 roleNameCol="rolename:/>

         <Context path="/onjava" docBase="onjava" debug="0"
reloadable="true">
         </Context>

</Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

When I start tomcat4 , it starts and dies in about 60sec.

If any of you have encountered such situations , please  provide some
light to this problem which would be greatly appreciated.

Mubaraka Arif
Data Management Software Developer
St Mary's University, San Antonio, TX
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]