Oh dear ! I had 2 consultants from Oracle India helping me the last time, and it took about 2 weeks to get everything right, but that involved installing and tuning Oracle 8 and 8i, setting up automated backups, etc., along with JDBC. Cost a bomb, but they were quite good. I don't think I could have done the job without them.

The way I would start would be :
1. Find out the version of Oracle - 8.1.5, like I said, has pretty flaky drivers (not sure if Oracle has released any new versions since my last disastrous encounter back in 2000), but 8.1.7 seems to be ok. DataDirect drivers are still your safest bet, I believe, and they're pretty cheap (in Singapore anyway).
2. Read up on JDBC and SQL. There are some excellent tutorials on the Internet. Try IBM Developerworks (http://www.ibm.com/developer). If your implementation is simple enough (i.e. do most of your processing outside the database, and use the database only as a repository), this should be all you need.
3. See if you can get help from a resident Oracle guru. I suppose you could post your questions here, but I'm no expert in Oracle, and I'd be unable to help you. I'm not sure about the level of Oracle support on the newsgroups or websites. For IBM's DB2, the support is the best I have ever experienced, with the original developers sometimes pitching in to help in the newsgroups.

Hope this helps !

Regards,
pascal chong

Swapneel Dange wrote:

hi MIKE, PENG , CHONG !!

guys, there seems to be a problem here for me with the database implementation. After all the discussion i was all set to implemenent the database as a FILESYSTEM only but my BOSS insists that ORACLE shoudl be implemented. Can somebody of u enlighten me with the SITES and README files about impplementing ORACLE under TOMCAT umbrella and what could be the DRIVERS i need to know before i plunge into the deep sea of ORACLE implementation. some of the drivers suggested are the ones made by DATATAKE, JBOSS (i guess, i may be wrong)or the default drivers which come up with the ORACLE.

Comments are really awaited !

Swapneel Dange
505-642-4126
http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~sdange