OK, I think I see the problem.  It did call the servlet but only the
init() method.  Makes sense.  Since there is no request passed, I can't
do anything.

Let me restate the question.  I'd like to start execution with a servlet
that can fire off a jsp after initializing stuff in the the session and
hopefully seting variables somewhere that the taglib routines can use.
I'm starting to think there is no way to do that.  You have to begin
with a document so there is a request to pass to the servelet.

Thanks,
Jim.