Maybe I'd better start over.  The jsp that I would like to display
initially (index.jsp, perhaps) has a form with a number of select
boxes.  I need to prime some of the select boxes with values derived
from one of the other select boxes (the database name).  I use taglib
routines to populate these select boxes and a table with a variable
number of rows of text input form objects.   The values in the select
boxes come from the database and there is a slightly complex hierarchy
of dependencies.  E. g.  The primary select box selects a datbase.  From
that database I get a set of regions that I use to set the selections
for another drop down list.  Based on that selection I publish a
variable row table that includes input text form objects.

Now to keep all this straight, the servlet that processes the form does
a request.setAttribute(...) for a number of variables that are needed to
figure out what goes in each drop down list (select) and the table.

The taglib routines use these attributes to generate the variable data
on the form.

Once the attributes are set everything works nicely, but what I'm really
trying to do is initialize all these attributes, so I want to start up
with a servlet that has a HttpRequest variable or somehow generate one
that I can use to call a .jsp so the taglib routines populate the data
correctly.

Sure, I can go back and redo the taglib routines to have initial values,
but I was trying to keep all the db activity in the servlet for
simplicity.

If anyone is still with me, can I do what I'm trying to?

Thanks,
Jim.