Tim is right - I am learning something new too.
Interestingly, System.getProperty('java.home') gives 'c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\jre'  on my PC.

 Tim Funk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:System.getProperty("catalina.home") should give
you the CATALINA_HOME
environment variable without doing anything extra special to any startup
script.

System.getProperty("catalina.base") will give you ... CATALINA_BASE

-Tim