You can use host headers on IIS to create virtual hosts. Each of the host headers need to be registered in DNS but they can point to the same IP address

host headers only work with HTTP 1.1 - but that shouldn't be a problem with most browsers today.

Dov Rosenberg

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 06:11 PM, John Ruffin wrote:

The box does have a static IP. Pinging www.mycompany.com does resolve to my
static IP address.

Actually, I have 3 websites/domain names that point to my static IP address
and I'd like to use JSP & Struts on all 3. Right now, I'm trying to get 1
to work then I'll go with the others.

-----Original Message-----
From: JD Daniels [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 6:00 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Virtual Host - IIS and DNS

I have set up Tomcat as a 'web farm'.

Basically, it does not matter whos DNS nameserver www.mycompany.com is
registered with, as long as the ip address that nameserver resolves it to is
the ip of the machine you have tomcat/yourapp on. You do not need to run
your own nameservers.

What matters is:

ping www.mycompany.com

pinging www.mycompany.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] with 32 blah blah

          - If the xxx is the ip of machine you have tomcat on, you are good
to go.

The host containers are useful so that you can run virtual ips/domains. If
you only have one domain, don't worry about it. I run one linux box with
many different (virtual) ips, which resolve to different domains. The host
container serves the correct servlets for the right domain.

Does your box have a static ip?

JD