I've spent DAYS and DAYS and DAYS trying to get tomcat to run servlets. Nothing I try
works. I have followed the instructions in three books, several online tutorials and
attempted to decipher tomcat documentation on the apache site. I've installed and
reinstalled two versions to Tomcat (currently on 4.1.24). I've modified server.xml and
web.xml files until my fingers are sore from typing. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated. Nothing helps; nothing works except the tomcat examples which mock me!

Here is my problem:

>From a clean install of tomcat, create a new directory under webapps called
>"dumfries". Create subdirectories dumfries/WEB-INF/classes.

Copy the file "HelloWorldExample.class" from "webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes" and
paste it into "webapps/dumfries/WEB-INF/classes"

Create the following file and save as "web.xml" in the "webapps/dumfries/WEB-INF"
directory:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<servlet>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldExample</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>HelloWorldExample</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<web-app>
</web-app>

Add the following tag to the server.xml file:

<Context path="/dumfries" docBase="dumfries" debug="0" reloadable="true" />

Start the server and browse to
"http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample";
Note that the page displays.

Now browse to "http://localhost:8080/dumfries/servlet/HelloWorldExample"; and behold
the error message.

What am I doing wrong!!!! How can I make this work??? I'm supposed to be half way done
with my project and I can't get my first servlet to work!!! Help!