Allen,

What do you set for your memory parameters in catalina opts?

an example from out setup is

if [ -z "$CATALINA_OPTS" ] ; then
  CATALINA_OPTS="-XdoCloseWithReadPending -Xms256m -Xmn100m -Xmx256m
-Xverbosegc:file=/tomca
t/logs/gc.out"
export CATALINA_OPTS
echo start: CATALINA_OPTS set to $CATALINA_OPTS
fi

I have seen tomcat stop because of garbage collection issues if -Xms256m and
-Xmx256m are not equal.  This usually occurs for webapps that very quickly
create large temporary objects.  The new generation heap just cannot expand
fast enough and tomcat will stop.

without -XdoCloseWithReadPending, tomcat will not shutdown.  As far as I can
tell it is due to a connector still binding to a port in some manner.

Also, are your patches up to date?

I list some recommended kernal paramters that we try to adhere to for our
servers, maxdsiz we have found is very important.  If set too small you will
get hotspot errors and the JVM will crash.

maxusers                512
nproc                   2068
max_thread_proc                 3000
nkthread                6000
nfile                   30000
maxfiles                2048
maxfiles_lim            2048
ncallout                6000
maxdsiz                         2063835136

Jeff