John Turner wrote:

I don't think Tomcat clears out the work directory on its own. I've always had to write wrapper scripts for my instances that do a "rm -rf work/*" right before a call to startup.sh.

Oh okay, I didn't realize that's how it's supposed to work. No problem. I also just noticed that the contents of the work directory are owned by root, and I'm just a user on my friend's Linux server. I'll just let him know that if ever feels that the directory is getting too big he can clean it out, or modify startup.sh to do so.

Is it safe to assume that anything in $CATALINA_HOME/work will be rebuilt by Tomcat (assuming the webapp starts normally and the "current" JSPs are still present in the webapp's docroot)? It's less trouble for him if he just has to delete one directory ($CATALINA_HOME/work) instead of doing a separate delete for every webapp.

Thanks,

Erik