Sorry, I was mistaken:

I've got several webapps under tomcat/webapps and one virtualhost.
Let's say I've got app1 and app1/image.gif.

If I call:
        http://localhost/app1/image.gif
Apache will look for:
        /usr/local/bin/tomcat/webapps/app1/image.gif

and everything is perfect.
Then I've got the root-app and ROOT/image.gif.

If I call:
        http://localhost/image.gif
Apache will look for:
        /usr/local/bin/tomcat/webapps/image.gif

and give a 404 because my gif actually is in /usr/local/bin/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/image.gif

Therefore I need something to redirect requests for the root app to /usr/local/bin/tomcat/webapps/ROOT.

- Johannes