Mike Curwen wrote:
Someone else on this list had a similar problem with NPE's being thrown
by Coyote. His developers insisted it wasn't their code, and that it
had to be coyote causing the trouble. I sympathize with that position,
because on that stack trace, and on yours, there is only org.apache
classes throwing Exceptions.
Can you try running Tomcat on 8080, and not use Apache web server as a
front-end? If that works, and adding Apache back in causes a problem,
then we'll be closer to confirming the cause of the NPE.

"http://localhost:8080/hd"; brings up the /hd app. The error message is the same.

However; it appears to progress a bit further in the browser.
I am trying to use Form Based AUTH with my form as follows:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED] contentType="text/html"%>
<head>
<title>Login</title>
</head>
<form method="POST" action='<%= response.encodeURL("j_security_check") %>'>
        <th align="right">Username:</th>
        <th align="right">Password:</th>

The application correctly passes me to "http://localhost:8080/hd/login.jsp";

If I type a bogus ID and any password the application correctly passes me
to "http://localhost:8080/hd/login_error.jsp";

However; If I type a valid ID and any password the application passes me to
"http://localhost:8080/hd/j_security_check"; and generates the following error message:

2003-07-09 13:25:21 CoyoteAdapter An exception or error occurred in the container
during the request processing
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.authenticate(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
 Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
 Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
 Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
 Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Unknown
 Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:392)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)