You could set the max-connections in your dbpool
(defined in the datasource) to quite a big number. If
you have this low (eg 16), then chances are good that
you will have a bottleneck here and clients will have
to wait for a connection before they can continue.

Check that the size you configure in the datasource
connection pool can be handled by MySQL. Don't set
this to 256 eg if MySQL is configured for only 16
connections.

If you know the DB server will be available for the
3-4 hours, remove the "validation query parameter",
which will save you a db call per connection get.

And if you don't already use a db connection pool and
rather create connections as you need them and then
close them again, switch to the connection pooling.
You should see a significant improvement.