It sounds as if you are indeed opening/closing
connections as you need them.

You need to configure a datasource for your db
connections:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Its fairly easy to set up and the gain is significant.
I would say it is probably a good practice to use this
anyway, even if you do not expect heavy traffic.