If you have Apache, there's no need to use 8080 at all, and you can even disable that connector in server.xml.

To do so, you would use a connector (mod_jk or mod_jk2). This gets loaded by Apache, and then you map various request URIs to be sent to Tomcat, such as "/*.jsp" and "/servlet/*". Then Apache serves your static content (GIF, HTML, JPEG), and Tomcat serves JSP and servlet.

Or, you can just run Tomcat alone on port 80. Tomcat is perfectly capable of serving HTML, GIF, and the like without needing Apache at all.

So, right now you are using a little bit of both with no integration. This is do-able, but probably not optimal. You can choose to use Apache + Tomcat with a connector (100% integration), or you can just use Tomcat alone (0% integration and no additional overhead from Apache). There are pros and cons to either solution, use what works best for you and fits your environment.

Jeff Howard wrote:

John,

The webpages get called by http://<ip address>/path.   There's no :8080
there. Don't I still need Apache for those pages? I only place I use :8080
is in some of the webpages when I want to process a servlet.

Jeff

John Turner wrote:

Only comment is that with :8080 on the URL there is no need for Apache at all.

John

Jeff Howard wrote:

Hi,

I just finished setting up Red Hat 9, JDK 1.4, Apache 2.0.40 and Tomcat 4.1
with help from folks on the list. After all is said and done, it wasn't too bad.

Here's a quick summary of what I did. Maybe this will help others and at
the same time if there's something wrong or missing maybe someone can point
that out as well.

- Installed Red Hat 9
- Installed JDK 1.4
- Installed Apache 2.0.40
- Installed Tomcat binary. (Had trouble geting rpm to work)
- Copied the Tomcat "examples" directory to a new (parallel) directory called "myapp"
- Edited the server.xml file and added a context for "myapp"
- Deposited my existing servlets in /var/tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes
where "tomcat" is a link to my tomcat install
- Restarted tomcat
- Edited my html references to servlets to be http://<ip address>:8080/myapp/servlet/<servlet name>

This appears to work. I didn't edit any of the web.xml files or install any connector(s)
to Apache. I'm a novice at this so perhaps some of this needs to be done but the webpages
execute the servlets and the results are accurate. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions?

Thanks very much to everyone that provided help along the way.

Jeff