I need to let apache fail nicely when a tomcat instance has crashed,
been stopped or is being restarted.  Right now this is what happens
through the jk2 connector:
I stop apache:            10061 - Connection refused
I stop one tomcat webapp: HTTP Status 404
I stop the tomcat server: 500 Internal Server Error
Directly to tomcat:
I stop apache:            Nothing happens, not using it :)
I stop one tomcat webapp: HTTP Status 404
I stop the tomcat server: 10061 - Connection refused

I would like to see apache return 10061 - Connection refused when I stop
tomcat instead of error 500 because this can cause problems with the
cisco load balancer noticing that a server has dropped out of the loop.
We are doing a simple one apache <-> one tomcat setup on 6 machines that
are HW load balanced.  Each tomcat has multiple webapps each accessible
through a virtual host.  Do I just need to switch to JNI?

My current workers2.properties:
 only at beginnin. In production uncomment it out
[logger.apache2]
level=DEBUG

[shm]
file=/ApacheGroup/Apache2/logs/jk2.shm
size=1048576

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=wbdevweb5.guidestar.net

# define the worker