On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 07:12:39AM -0500, Tom Oehser wrote:
> 
> It isn't a kernel issue, the PCMCIA is seperate.  One trick, if it is a
> Toshiba, there is often a BIOS setting to have the notebook operate in
> TCIC mode instead of CardBus mode, if you change that setting to force
> TCIC then the tomsrtbt pcmcia will work with it. -Tom

Well, you guessed the brand right... I guess you've had run-ins with this platform 
already. Was the dead IDE controller the tip-off? :)

Anyway,  mine appears not to have this BIOS option (it's about a year-old Satellite). 
Is the issue with the cardbus module a known bug in the PCMCIA code from back in the 
kernel 2.0.X days, or is this something that can be fixed with a recompile? I had 
Debian Stable running on it without a hitch before the IDE controller died, but IIRC 
that used a later version of the PCMCIA utilities.

So what's the verdict? Will it be possible to get a working version of the PCMCIA 
utilities with CardBus support, or should I mail this sucker back to Best Buy via 
Jungle Post?

Again, thanks for the help...

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, sungod wrote:
> > Well, it kind of works anyway. I didn't test it thoroughly enough before I left, 
>and now I discover that the cardbus module doesn't seem to work, so I'm without 
>ethernet. I have to use a serial connection to my router console, then telnet from 
>the router to a shell host elsewhere, so using the internet is--shall we say--less 
>than convenient at this point.
> > 
> > Here's what happens:
> > 
> > /usr/lib/modules/pcmcia# insmod pcmcia_core.o
> > Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.0.12
> >   kernel build: 2.0.37 #1 Fri Jun 18 21:40:22 EDT 1999
> >   options: [pci] [cardbus]
> > /usr/lib/modules/pcmcia# insmod cardbus.o
> > kernel_version needed, but can't be found
> > /usr/lib/modules/pcmcia#
> > 
> > Also, it's worth noting that any time I do "insmod i82365" (or the default pcmcia 
>startup script attempts it), my laptop freezes. I'm pretty sure my laptop uses 
>cardbus though.
> > 
> > What's the fix? Can somebody recompile the kernel and cardbus module so the 
>kernel_version isn't needed?
> > 

Reply via email to