Tonto has it's own internal java-serial support and won't work with
RXTX.  I haven't looked at the xmodem code in years, but as I recall,
it was generic enough to work with any serial library without too much
work.  I can't speak directly to the robustness of the xmodem
implementation other than it works well with the Prontos as long as
the underlying serial library is working.