In December I wrote a cron job on the German toolserver, to collect
statistics on external links. It works fine, but to be useful I must
collect data over time, so I made a cron job to run each Monday morning.

While my attention was elsewhere, believing that this was running,
it turns out the 256 Mbyte quota (!) made all my files 0 bytes
in length for all of January. I have now requested and gotten an
increased quota, but 6 weeks of data have been lost. And I must
devote time to check my quota every week or two.

The /home disk is 600 GB of which 88 GB is free. That's not per user,
but for all users together. It should come as a surprise to most
people who donate money to the Wikimedia Foundation, that all of its
volunteer developers have to share a disk the size of what is found
in any laptop. According to an IRC discussion, some new disks that
were planned to arrive in mid January have not yet been delivered.
I have no idea what amount of disk has been ordered, or whether the
quota system will be kept. I get the impression that this doesn't
really matter to anybody.

This is the development system for the world's 6th most visited
website in 2012. It quite doesn't live up to my expectations.
It feels more like some hobby project in 2002. I'm a great fan
of hobby projects, but with the current budget of WMDE and WMF,
I thought we would have reached a higher ambition level by now.

--
  Lars Aronsson (l...@aronsson.se)