On 03/03/12 00:07, Nickanc Wikipedia wrote:
> In my opinion, I suggest that
> (1) global bots which are on ts should have access to the MMP,
> (2) we shall grant every wiki (or at least every major wiki) a user
> (or more than one, if the wiki is big) in the MMP for it.
>
> In this way, we may try to reflect the current situation: we have both
> *bots which are active in a wiki only, controlling its pages,
> *global bots wandering around.
> I think that for what concern the bots involved in the (2) above, a
> good idea could be asking each group of ts users working on a certain
> wiki to take a decision according also to the thoughts of their wiki.
> On a brief discussion on it.wiki bot runners' IRC channel, there were
> suggested (I don't know whether this is possible or not) to set up a
> "fake user" for interwiki on it.wiki usable by every it.wiki ts user,
> in order that, in case a bot runner will stop his/her activity,
> interwiki will have no problem.  While, bots of group (1) I think are
> already determined.
>
> I am interested in this issue. In fact, I was asked by DaB to find 5
> or more users to found the MMP, but I hadn't been successful (and i
> had also to slow down my presence on wikimedia projects due to real
> life...).
>
> :) Best wishes,
> Nickanc

Instead of users, it should be specified in terms of 'tasks'.
There's Bot A doing X because there's user B running it. Instead, the
task should be presented (it's usually a command line), and run by the MMP.
This can lead to a better distribution of the load. The easiest way, by
running them in a queue with n slots. But if some tasks are very
intensive, I'm not sure it can be done without getting big load. Maybe
with short and long queues...