On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Tim Landscheidt <t...@tim-landscheidt.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at the office hour yesterday
> (cf. http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23wikimedia-office/20130430.txt
> ):
>
> | [...]
> | <Coren> multichill: The long story short; replicating
> |         databases is happening soon (Within the month)
> |         Replicating multiple copies of commons and wikidata
> |         isn't going to happen that way; it needs to be built
> |         into application logic or using federated tables.
> |         Almost /all/ of the problems the TS have had with
> |         replication were caused by that redundancy and
> |         trying to keep it synced.
> | <multichill> Coren: So you're basically saying Toollabs is
> |              useless for me
> | <Platonides> {{ref needed}}
> | <Coren> We're all more than happy to help you (and any other
> |         maintainer) with adapting your tools to work in that
> |         setup.
> | <scfc_de> Coren: In that case, Tools will not be able to
> |           replace Toolserver.
> | <giftpfla1ze> what are federated tables btw?
> | <Ryan_Lane> AFAIK toolserver will also have this limitation
> |             at some point
> | <scfc_de> Ryan_Lane: What do you mean?
> | [...]
>
> There were never answers to this, so I bring it up here
> again:
>
> 1. How were "almost /all/ of the problems the TS have had
>    with replication" "caused by that redundancy and trying
>    to keep it synced"?
>
> 2. What limitation will the Toolserver have at some point?

As to #2: From what I've been told this has to do with future sharding
plans for the databases, and due to a change in how we'll be doing
replication. Of course, I've heard this in passing. For answers to both of
these questions you'll need to talk to binasher and/or notpeter on IRC, as
they are the ones doing the database work.

- Ryan