Nick;  For this size of an ontology, there is no need to look for
outside triple stores.  Just read in the file serialization (OWL/n3/
etc) and open.  Composer will normally support a few 10's of thousands
of triples or more, depending of course on the size of the file/
imports and the amount of memory you have.

That Pellet is unable to complete the inference is unfortunate and
predictable, but quite outside of Composer's control.  I.e. Composer
uses Pellet's API to invoke inferencing, an then it's up to Pellet to
return the inferred triples.  Unless you need true Tableau reasoning,
you may be better off using a datalog reasoner - i.e. configure for
OWLIM.

-- Scott