Thanks for the reply. I do not recall saying anything about
dtype:numericUnion in my mails and as far as I can see qudt:numericValue is
defined with an xsd:double range. That said, I can see that there are
instances of qudt:numericValue that follow the conventions you and I both
used, but yours is successful and mine was not. Maybe it is some kind of
glitch in my TBC (which happens on occasion, though I close and reopen
daily to be safe).

But the suggestion is still valid I think, at least in terms of standard
types (but maybe not if no errors occur).

Jack