Still no answer  :-(

I've re-read
http://wiki.topquadrant.com/display/TBS55/EDG+Server+Installation+and+Integration#EDGServerInstallationandIntegration-Configuringauthentication

it seems to confirm my suspicion that we need to set cookies and shows a
script example (+1!)

so I checked the requests the SPARQLmotion module generates with a dummy
service:

It seems to make two requests, and include the HTTP basic username/password
in the second call,

but this doesnt seem to work invoking the EDG server running locally, and
how the storedPassword key is used is not clear - it doesnt seem to affect
the calls generated, though it does pop up a form asking for the password
if i dont set the password and I do set the securePasswordURL (which seems
counterintuitive)

At this stage I'd like to see an example of a SPARQL Motion config that can
successfully invoke a EDG service that requires authentication

----- Request Start ----->

/testSMLrequest
Host: localhost:8888

Connection: Keep-Alive

Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

<----- Request End -----

127.0.0.1 - - [17/Oct/2018 10:28:40] "GET /testSMLrequest HTTP/1.1" 200 -

----- Request Start ----->

/testSMLrequest
Host: localhost:8888

Connection: Keep-Alive