The public classes get defined transitively via owl:imports, so: right, once one ontology in the imports closure defines a class as public there is no way to override that in others (if that's a problem in the first place). The only way around that is to put the publicClass triples into dedicated wrapper Ontologies. But I don't really see how to automate that as it's an entirely manual and arbitrary decision from the modeler.

Holger