Probably ought to wind up this topic is the answer is "Lucene works on
local development server" and "Lucene needs data to be in the graph, not in
imports"  - that said, I guess we'd still be interested in seeing if we can
open up that easily.

Its another thread to work out how much work it would take to make it
feasible to copy all the data into EDG and sync it automatically with
changes in a source. At the moment we are happier with version controlled
sources and an import via project deployment and we can copy data at load
time rather than import.
It would be a pain to use the file import service and have to multipart
form-encode the file contents to load it.

Is there another option to look at a deployed file and efficiently copy it
into an new asset collection?  Still dont think this gives us the
flexibility to keep the original data and potential additional data
separate (segmented A-box union graphs) whilst retaining search capability.