Thanks for the responses, s7r, Philipp, grarpamp.
I can see the benefit of keeping the biggest cloud providers on the
blacklist. But if that's considered to be the best practice for Tor, are
Amazon and Microsoft blacklisted as well?

I am actually looking into a VSP from the "good/bad ISP" list, so I will
probably go with one of those. I thought I'd just try out a remote relay on
GCE to start with.

-Greg

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM, grarpamp <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Philipp Winter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I wonder if we wouldn't be better off with GCE remaining blocked.  Cloud
> > platforms seem quite popular among attackers -- presumably because they
> > can quickly give you a large number of disposable machines.
> >
> > Second, and perhaps less obvious, Google is already in a privileged
> > position as many exit relays use Google's public DNS server as resolver.
> > If GCE machines end up being guard relays, Google might be able to
> > correlate some DNS requests of the Tor clients that end up selecting GCE
> > guards.
>
> Similar thoughts. Feeds into the idea about some meta metrics
> on relays users might select from... WOT, location, etc. Maybe
> they even want the cloud due to having really good pipes.
>
> There are certainly plenty of non-mega-cloud VPS/dedi's to choose
> from out there, even in people's local cities. Just look around,
> form a relationship, not a billing statement.
> _______________________________________________
> tor-relays mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-relays
>
_______________________________________________
tor-relays mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-relays

Reply via email to