John,

My first guess would be that the Peer class is not loaded by the
classloader before you execute the query. See
http://issues.apache.org/scarab/issues/id/TRQS228
In Torque 3.1.1, the problem should be resolved. Alternatively, you can
force the classloader to load the class before you execute the statement,
e.g. by class.forName();

By the way, what is TableNamePeer.PRIMARY ? Never seen that before; I
normally would use
TableNamePeer.doDelete(criteria, dbConn);

  Thomas