Hi!

Theoretically, space could be saved by using copy-on-write (aka COW) file
copies, a feature supported by some modern filesystems.

Basically, the two copies of the file occupy the same disk blocks (similar
to hard linked files), but they behave as separate "logical" files. When
one is modified, the filesystem saves the changes in a separate place, so
the changed file shows the new, changed content, while the other "copy"
still shows the old content. (the other file can also be independently
edited and changed).

SVN could use this for the pristine copies, saving half of the disk space
typically. That is: the less local changes, the more data savings.

Also theoretically, this could by done entirely by the SVN software on any
filesystem, but would be pretty tricky to implement.

Regards,
David