I found programs like gsoc and outreachy helpful for students to identify
the projects of their interest and interact with the respective project
mentors. There is no academic involvement but as I am open source
enthusiast I promote these programs to my students.
We can do one thing for making open source part of academics. We can give
students extra credits for successfully completing the internship in open
source project. Or open source internship mandatory in any one
undergraduates semester.

Thanks,
Shobha