Good to know. From the back of my mind, I can confirm that running
Firefox, vim, Terminator, or Gedit in the foreground does not affect the
lock screen. In other words the bug lies with the interaction between
Unity Lockscreen and Google Chrome.

Also, related to my previous comment, forget what I wrote there. I think
`workaround-screen-lock-malfunction_1_all.deb` is meant to fix something
else, and so is totally unrelated to this bug. I have had the issue
after installing it.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Unity lockscreen lets applications capture keyboard input

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed that with the Vimium extension activated in Google Chrome, I
  cannot unlock Unity's lockscreen because keyboard input is hijacked by
  Vimium. The lockscreen really should not let this happen, and it can
  even be considered a potential security vulnerability as it might
  allow applications to capture a user's password.

  I have noticed this before as well when using another application,
  though I can't remember which one it was at the moment.

  The workaround is to use the mouse to choose the Switch user-option,
  but this is really not obvious to anyone who might encounter this bug.