Oh, I absolutely do agree that /usr/sbin/ is a really bad place.
/usr/local or /etc/ are better indeed. I was just wondering about what
precise path it should be, as I have never seen this documented or being
used in a Debian context.

  /etc/halt.local has become /usr/sbin/halt.local

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 15.10, amd64
  systemd-225-1ubuntu9

  /etc/halt.local seems to have moved to /usr/sbin/halt.local which IMO
  is bad for a couple of reasons.

  1) This is not where it's supposed to be
  2) Locally modified (non-dpkg managed) scripts under /usr is bad

  I have not been able to find anywhere documenting this as a decided
  change, so it seems like a bug to me.

  Please let me know if you need more info from me

  /Thomas