Fair enough...

As mentioned earlier, this may be from a systemv time and perhaps from
Red Hat, I'm not sure. I do know that /usr/sbin/halt.local works in both
Wily and in debian 8 out of the box, the file is just located in dpkg-
managed space, which makes no sense.

Look, I'm not actually arguing that we keep this particular file, but I
think we need to keep the functionality. /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/
seems to provide that functionality, but again, this is in dpkg-managed
territory. Is there a user managed folder that is handled the same?

If I need to create my own unit-file, I'd be happy to, but I've had a
hard time figuring out the proper requiremends/dependencies/befores and
afters that will make this the very last thing to run, just before the
system prints "system halted". This is where the need for further
documentation comes in (or perhaps I'm just too dense to find it)

If you can help point me to somewhere that will allow me to figure our
the correct dependencies etc for a new unit-file, I'll be happy to let
this go :-)

  /etc/halt.local has become /usr/sbin/halt.local

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 15.10, amd64
  systemd-225-1ubuntu9

  /etc/halt.local seems to have moved to /usr/sbin/halt.local which IMO
  is bad for a couple of reasons.

  1) This is not where it's supposed to be
  2) Locally modified (non-dpkg managed) scripts under /usr is bad

  I have not been able to find anywhere documenting this as a decided
  change, so it seems like a bug to me.

  Please let me know if you need more info from me

  /Thomas