As discussed in our hangout, my understanding (about which I am not 100%
certain) is that only an option selector filter set to single select can
be the primary navigation. So, when the user selects a new option, the
widget & overlay should disappear (just as it does with departments).

  dismissing primary nav filter shows a preview

Status in canonical-scopes-project:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  When you are using an option filter as the primary navigation widget,
  usually dismissing the filter widget by tapping results causes a
  result preview to display, but the user really wants to see all
  results and only dismiss the filter overly.

  You can see this in the attached fake 500px click:

  1) tap the search magnifying glass icon to display the filter overlay
  2) expand "Discover" (that is the title of the nav filter in this case
  3) select any option under Discover
  4) collapse "Discover" so that the overlay is small enough that some results
are visible
  5) tap results area to dismiss the overlay

  What happens: The preview for the result you tapped displays

  What was expected: the filter overlay disappears showing results