>Matthew Paul Thomas said:
>The red icon dates from the era when the rightmost menu was a "device menu",
>trying to cover everything from attached >printers to external displays to
>software updates to screen locking, which was absurd. Nowadays everything to
>do with software >updates is integrated into Software Updater, including the
>restart notification. It will sometimes be true that the alert appears >when
>it's not a good time to restart; but you can leave it open (even minimized)
>until you're ready.

Your explanation makes no sense, Matthew. The power-cog is where users
go to shutdown/restart their computer. If a RESTART is needed, this is
the perfect place to advertise it. The user does not know that it needs
to update. The user knows a RESTART is needed, for whatever reason. As
far as the user is concerned, the update process is over/done. Users
that update in the background (like my parents) don't understand the
process. The only thing they understand was that when it was red (and
red lettering appears in the Power-Cog, you restart. They never restart
their computer anymore since I moved them to 14.04. Which means they
aren't getting kernel updates. Your rationalization that everything
Update-Related be kept away from the Power-Cog is misguided and flawed
because the update is DONE, it's been set. The only step that remains is
to perform a procedure that the user needs to go to the Power-Cog to
accomplish. That is, the user is not UPDATING, they are RESTARTING.

The decision to change the red icon was a poor choice and per your
explanation the logic surrounding the decision is not in accordance with
good design principle nor user-use patterns.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  14.04 power-cog does not turn red when restart is needed

Status in The Session Menu:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In ubuntu 12.04 the power-cog turned red when a reboot/restart was
  needed. This was a helpful feature because it informed users that they
  needed to restart the computer. But this helpful indicator is gone in
  14.04 and it has resulted in me never remembering to restart my
  computer because there is no helpful feedback from ubuntu that a
  restart is needed.

  In 14.04, I will perform an update and a popup tells me a Restart is
  needed but I usually select to restart-later because I am in the
  middle of working. By the the time I am done working I have forgotten
  that a restart is needed. Later when I am working again a popup occurs
  informing me that a restart is needed (but again I am in the middle of
  working so I don't restart). Bottom line: when the power-cog turned
  red, it reminded me that I needed to restart the computer. When I
  finished my work I look up and see the red power-cog and "Oh yeah, I
  need to restart. Now is a good time." In 14.04 this doesn't happen.
  Instead I'm perpetually bugged by a popup (which is useless because
  it's never a good time to restart when it pops up). The red power-cog
  was a much BETTER design choice.

  The removal of the power-cog turning red has negatively affected the
  management of ubuntu updates and it should be fixed so that it behaves
  like 12.04.