Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

1) closing and opening the lid to cause sleep is unrelated to this
matter. Regardless of Suspend use, if a user intends to shutdown/restart
the computer, the power-cog is where the GUI user is going to go. If a
user never shuts down or restarts unless explicitly prompted, that does
NOT change the fact that the power-cog is the GUI area where this is
accomplished. It is not meaningless to them to "futz" with the cog icon.
It makes perfect sense as this is the location that restart/shutdown is
accomplished.

2) it is a poor design decision to use popups to communicate that a
restart is needed. It is not done in the normal Ubuntu method of
communicating information (i.e., displaying a rectangular box in the
upper right corner of the screen). Instead the popup is reminiscent of
popups from the world wide web. Something few people appreciate. And if
the popup box is closed (whether on purpose or by mistake), where does
the user have to go to restart? The cog icon.

Both my parents did not understand that the popup icon demanding restart
was from Ubuntu. Both my parents did (intuitively) understand however
that the red cog icon was a communication from Ubuntu telling them
something. And when they clicked the red icon they saw in red lettering
what was needed from them. MUCH BETTER DESIGN. Canonical/Ubuntu is
overall very good at design choices. But this popup choice for restart
is a regression. Hopefully you guys can/will reconsider it?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  14.04 power-cog does not turn red when restart is needed

Status in The Session Menu:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  In ubuntu 12.04 the power-cog turned red when a reboot/restart was
  needed. This was a helpful feature because it informed users that they
  needed to restart the computer. But this helpful indicator is gone in
  14.04 and it has resulted in me never remembering to restart my
  computer because there is no helpful feedback from ubuntu that a
  restart is needed.

  In 14.04, I will perform an update and a popup tells me a Restart is
  needed but I usually select to restart-later because I am in the
  middle of working. By the the time I am done working I have forgotten
  that a restart is needed. Later when I am working again a popup occurs
  informing me that a restart is needed (but again I am in the middle of
  working so I don't restart). Bottom line: when the power-cog turned
  red, it reminded me that I needed to restart the computer. When I
  finished my work I look up and see the red power-cog and "Oh yeah, I
  need to restart. Now is a good time." In 14.04 this doesn't happen.
  Instead I'm perpetually bugged by a popup (which is useless because
  it's never a good time to restart when it pops up). The red power-cog
  was a much BETTER design choice.

  The removal of the power-cog turning red has negatively affected the
  management of ubuntu updates and it should be fixed so that it behaves
  like 12.04.