I can confirm for 16.04 Xenial that the update works. After installation
and a restart of gnome-panel I do now see weather information where
there was previously only an empty space for the weather icon.

I do not have access to a 14.04 system at the moment so cannot confirm
for 14.04.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libgweather in Ubuntu.

  weather.noaa.gov was shut down

Status in libgweather:
  Unknown
Status in libgweather package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in libgweather source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed
Status in libgweather source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  The provider which libgweather was using was shut down in August.

  We need to update libgweather in Xenial to new upstream micro release,
  3.18.2, which switched to a new METAR data provider.

  Impact: this affects all libgweather-using applications, makes them
  unable to retrieve weather data.

  Test Case: make sure Weather applet in gnome-applets is able to
  display weather information.