Just a comment I found interesting in regards to some earlier comments here,
about the OSK actually showing up but then disappearing as a key on it is
pressed. I was trying many different things to go about my problem of lack of
OSK in my GTK app on the phone. One thing I did, was that I actually installed
florence on my phone:
  $ sudo mount -o remount,rw /
  $ sudo apt-get install frorence
  $ sudo mount -o remount,ro /
then, inside of my app I created a button labelled "OSK", and in the OnClick
event of the button I have put:

  Procedure Button2.Onclick(Sender: TObject);
   begin
     Unix.fpSystem('florence &');
   end;

Now, this is written in FreePascal/Lazarus, but the meaning is that I
programatically call florence, and put it to background (&). ANd the thing is,
the OSK actually DO show up! But just like in some earlier comments here about
maliit OSK (which I can't get to show up, nor do I know a command to show it up
programatically), once I press any button on it, it disappears.
Only if I hit a button that is kayboard input anyways, if I hit a button on the
OSK that is simply opening florence's OSK setting window, then that window does
show up, with all the settings, and I can work in that window, then close it
and the OSK is still there. Until I hit any keyboard input button. Then it
disappears.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-keyboard in Ubuntu.

  keyboard does not show up on xenial

Status in ubuntu-keyboard package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Expected behaviour:

  Install ubuntu-keyboard, run maliit-server, click on place to enter
  text -> keyboard shows up.

  What happens:

  Running maliit-server after installing ubuntu-keyboard-english in
  terminal shows following error:

  WARNING: void MIMPluginManagerPrivate::_q_setActiveSubView(const
  QString&, Maliit::HandlerState) "libubuntu-keyboard-plugin.so" "en" is
  not enabled

  Clicking on fields for entering text, does not cause the keyboard to
  show up.

  What I tried so far:

  export QT_IM_MODULE=Maliit
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=Maliit

  and

  gconftool-2 -s --type list --list-type string /maliit/onscreen/enabled
"[llibubuntu-keyboard-plugin.so,en_gb]"
  gconftool-2 -s --type list --list-type string /maliit/onscreen/active
"[libubuntu-keyboard-plugin.so,en_gb]"

  according to

  https://github.com/maliit/framework

  and

  https://github.com/maliit/plugins

  but it still won't show up.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: ubuntu-keyboard 0.99.trunk.phablet2+16.04.20160226.1-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Apr 20 18:03:03 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64 (20160323)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=de_DE
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-keyboard
  modified.conffile..etc.xdg.maliit.org.server.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.xdg.maliit.org.server.conf: 2016-04-20T17:40:50.856195