You cannot drop an arbitrary jpg file into a music folder and expect it
to be picked up as artwork. This simply doesn't work. The following file
basenames are recognised cover art:

cover
album
albumart
.folder
folder

These base names must have one of the following extensions:

jpeg
jpg
png

Capitalisation is irrelevant. So, if you have a file called

AlbumArt.JPG

it will be used as the album cover.

If a song contains embedded artwork, it will be used. Otherwise, if one
of these files is present, the contents of the file are used. Otherwise,
we try to retrieve albumart from a database. The accuracy of the lookup
depends on the accuracy of the tags in the song and whether the database
(7digital) has a corresponding entry.

At any rate, there is no bug here. You can embed cover art in your
songs, or use one of the filenames listed above if you don't want to do
that.

** Changed in: thumbnailer (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to thumbnailer in Ubuntu.

  Music ignores local album artwork.

Status in Ubuntu Music App:
  Invalid
Status in thumbnailer package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When using "Music", local album artwork is ignored, seemingly in favor
  of online album artwork, which is frequently incorrect.

  This appears to be a different issue to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/thumbnailer/+bug/1372000 , because
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/thumbnailer/+bug/1372000 is apparently
  "fixed" and I still experience this issue.

  --

  Reproduce:
  - Copy music to your Ubuntu mobile device, ensuring that each folder contains

  Result:
  - Most tracks are shown with no or incorrect album artwork.

  Expectation:
  - That Music would utilize or otherwise prioritize local album artwork.

  --

  Music: 2.4.1003

  bq Aquaris E5 HD Ubuntu Edition:
  * OS build number: OTA-12
  * Ubuntu Image part: 20160708
  * Ubuntu build description: Ubuntu 15.04 - armhf (20160708-091336)
  * Device Image part: 20160606-540a47f
  * Device build description: VEGETA01A-S23A_BQ_L100EN_2014_160708
  * Customization Image part: 20160701-981-38-14