No, that's precisely why the error message exists. It's an optional
feature. There's a Recommends for gnupg2 for those  who really really
want to use that stuff.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  gnupg2 is missing as dependency while apt-key uses it

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 with apt 1.3.1 and on using apt-key I got the
  following error:

  Error: gnupg, gnupg2 and gnupg1 do not seem to be installed,
  Error: but apt-key requires gnupg, gnupg2 or gnupg1 for this operation.

  So maybe gnupg(2) should get a dependency of apt.

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :
More help   :