Hi,
I don't know if this is useful, but on my netbook the worst performance comes
from black and transparent overlays, like when the Terminal asks for a password
or when you want to turn off your computer. In those cases the frame time is
more than 1s, sometimes 2s. I have to hard reboot every time because I can't
click :(

  Unity8 on Intel Atoms performs poorly (falls back to software
  rendering more than non-Atoms do)

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  (problem forked from bug 1549455)

  Unity8 on Intel Pineview performs very poorly. Frame times appears to
  be up to 900ms, Qt's renderer thread using 100% CPU.

  Running unity8 with MESA_DEBUG=1 EGL_LOG_LEVEL=debug reveals a few MESA
errors:
  http://paste.ubuntu.com/16344427/

  Quoting @vanvugt "Those Mesa errors "Mesa: User error:" all look like
  OpenGL features that Unity8 is hitting but mir-demos don't. So those
  gl calls are also good candidates for explaining poor performance,
  especially if Mesa is falling back to software rendering for them."

  Since Qt tends to perform just fine on that hardware in X11, something
  isn't right.