Please install all updates. Log out and log back in and try again.

For me, it looks like this was fixed with recent updates, maybe mesa?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Hardware freeze when going fullscreen in certain applications with
  Wayland

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Every time I press "F11" in Firefox or use "F" in VLC to go into
  fullscreen mode my laptop will freeze, only leaving the audio playing
  with a frozen image, without the ability to use my keyboard or move my
  touch pad or mouse, forcing me to restart my computer by holding down
  my power button.

  How to reproduce the bug in Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 on Wayland:
  - Press "F11" by default in Firefox to go into fullscreen mode.
  - Press "F" by default in VLC to go into and/or leave fullscreen mode.