I apologize for going back and forth on this bug so often.   It may
simply be not feasible to SRU a fix for this.  The fix is not just in
the python3.4 package.  I think at a minimum this means:

* Backporting wheel to trusty.  It was first available in utopic, so i'm
not even sure if it's appropriate to sru a package that doesn't exist in
the target version.  It won't help to add it to -backports.

* Backport chardet, colorama, distlib, html5lib, pip, requests,
setuptools, six, and urllib3, at least such that they add their -whl
binary packages (e.g. /usr/share/python-wheels/*.whl)

* Backport the fix for python3.4

Given that `virtualenv -p python3` effectively does the same thing, is
it worth it?  Seems like a tall order.  Is there anything that venv
gives you that you *don't* get for virtualenv?

I could see "fixing" `python3 -m venv` to write an error message
pointing people at virtualenv.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3-defaults in

  pyvenv fails due to mising ensurepip module

Status in “python3-defaults” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “python3.4” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “python3.4” package in Debian:

  Hello,

  I noticed the following

  # fails
  python3.4 -m venv --clear python-venv
  Error: Command '['.../external/python-venv/bin/python3.4', '-Im',
'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']' returned non-zero exit status 1

  # works, but no pip
  python3.4 -m venv --clear --without-pip python-venv

  Thank you